Monday, June 25, 2007

Scott City, Kansas

Hello from Scott City, Kansas! It's hard to believe that we are already in western, Kansas! Today we rode 87 miles after a 98 mile ride yesterday. We are staying at the Holy Cross Lutheran Church here in Scott City tonight after camping in the small town of Rush Center, KS last night. (Rush Center has one stop sign intersection and about 100 people.) It has been very hot the past couple of days but other than that the riding has been going good. I got to take a garden hose shower last night and wash my hair for the first time since Toronto Lake! (Eww, I know but you learn to live with a little dirt and salt after a month on the road.)

This morning we came across another cyclist - Stephanie from Michigan who was pedaling from San Francisco, CA to Virginia solo with the support of her mother in a car. I can't imagine doing this journey solo especially where we are right now with the flat Kansas farm lands going on for miles. We passed her mother early on in our ride and then came across them both later on when Stephanie got the first flat tire of her trip - we stopped so Nick put on a tire changing clinic!

In random news my new discovery is that bike pockets were made to hold Pop Tarts and that they have FRENCH TOAST POP TARTS!! You have no idea how excite I am to discover this as now I have a different flavor to mix in with my Smore Pop Tarts. You get more calories for the $$ than with Granola Bars too! (Speaking of French Toast - Thank you Lauren for the recipe, I plan on making overnight french toast soon after I get home!)

I'd write more but my computer time is almost up and I need to wash up because riding 87 miles in 90+ degree weather has left me gross!

Till next time,

Sandra

No comments: