Sunday, August 19, 2007

I like to ride my Bicycle...

Hello... It’s been just over two weeks since we arrived in San Diego and I’m finally getting around to writing my summer wrap up. I am back home, back at work and yes back riding my bicycle – although I guess I never really took a break from that! Things are slowly getting back to the so called normal.

The first week back was completely foreign to me as I was still in I4K mode. I arrived home on Wednesday afternoon (the 8th), went for a ride on my XC mt. bike that night and spent Thursday catching up on sleep before pulling an all-nighter at Oneonta’s Relay for Life Friday night. (The ride may have ended but the cause is still there.) I then headed to Vermont for a week of camping with the family. As great as it was to be back with my family it was very anticlimactic after the camping I did this summer with I4K and I felt out of place camping without my Illini 4000 teammates around. I’m now back home preparing to go back to work the day after tomorrow something I’m not sure I’m ready to do.

In a way, as silly as it may sound, I feel homesick. For 72+ days my teammates were my family, our daily designation my home and I got to ride my bicycle everyday meeting amazing people and hearing their inspiring stories. It was beyond amazing. I remember the May night before I left to go meet the team at Anish’s home in NJ. Just what I was about to do suddenly hit me and for a moment I was scared. I was going to be spending my summer with a group of complete strangers whom I’d never met and had only corresponded with via email until that point. I reminded myself of the cause and purpose of our ride and my fears disappeared. The next day upon meeting my teammates I knew within minutes that they were an awesome group, committed to our cause with positive attitudes and ready to do something big.

I’m still in I4K mode in a way I guess. To be 100% honest, I have yet to sleep in my bed. It’s currently covered in stuff and I’m just as comfortable sleeping on the floor with my pillow and comforter. I still enjoy peanut butter and jelly or apple butter or honey, even after having eaten it all summer long. Ice Cream – I shouldn't even need to argue the fact that it’s impossible to get sick of ice cream! I now have Jimmy Cliff’s – “Hard Road to Travel” on my IPod and I don’t think I will ever listen to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”, “Hotel California” or “Don’t Stop Believin” without thinking of I4K. I picked my bike up from its tune up yesterday and rode both yesterday and today – squeak free! When out riding my eyes are constantly scanning the side of the road for trash treasures! The only thing missing - my comrades!

All expectations I had going into this summer were well surpassed in every way possible. From the thousands of generous people we met along the way, to the thousands who supported us in helping us reach our fundraising goals. The outpouring of support was remarkable and the beauty of the country from the seat of a bicycle is something I will never forget. The media so often portrays what’s wrong in America but this summer I was able to see firsthand how great Americans and complete strangers can be when brought together by a meaningful cause. Like the Portrait Project points out almost everyone has been touched by cancer in someway or another and thus can relate to our cause. Without all these people, the support of my family, friends and teammates this journey would not have been what it was and I thank everyone for making it so amazing!

While I’m sad that this journey is over and I miss my Illini4000 family terribly, the memories of this summer will last forever and I know that the journey is really only beginning as people will continue to unite in the fight. I’ve been asked countless times since the ride ended if I would ever do a ride of this magnitude again. While my immediate thought is that I don’t ever want to forget or overwrite the memories of this summer, I have to admit there is a part of me deep down that is craving the adventure and desire to help others. What my next adventure will be, I don’t know but suggestions are always welcome! There has got to be someone out there who wants to snow bike across Antarctica!?!

No comments: