Monday, July 30, 2007

Short day to Salome

Day 67: Salome, AZ

Tonight is our last night in Arizona as tomorrow we will head to Palo Verde, California. Our ride today was perhaps one of our easiest yet as we got tailwinds the majority of the way and arrived at the Lion’s Club here in Salome around 10:15 a.m.

We woke up this morning at 4:15 a.m. and were on the road by 5:30 a.m. A bunch of us wanted to stop at Marcia’s before leaving Wickenburg so we split into two groups today with one heading straight for Salome and the other to Marcia’s. I was in the group that stopped at Marcia’s and when we arrived at her home about a mile from the church she was outside waiting for us. After showing us her garden and fascinating Peace Pole she brought us out more goodies with a little something for everyone. For me she had a juggling kit as I told her the night before that I really didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life and thus she thought I could figure it out while learning to juggle. James who did not have an “ornament” on his handlebars now has a squeaky foot! We left her house with a bike bag full of goodies that are sure to entertain us throughout the remainder of our journey. After departing her home we met up with Drew who was driving the van about 15 miles down the road. We then caught tailwinds and cruised the next 15 miles to our second rest stop before catching up to the first group at rest stop number three. From there we finished the rest of the ride arriving in Salome around 10:15 a.m. It was a short day as we only covered 55 miles.

Once at the Lion’s Club (our host here in Salome) we unpacked our coolers and ate lunch after which the majority of the team decided to take advantage of the extra time and catch up on sleep. I took advantage of the chance to use James’s computer while no one was on it and downloaded all (1,500+) of my digital photos to his computer. His computer is the holder of the photos so that after we finish the ride DVD’s can be made for everyone containing everyone’s photos.

I have to admit I’m rather glad that we got in early today as I stepped outside mid-afternoon and quickly returned inside as it was unbearably hot out. At dinner time Sean and I made Chili and rice and then had our master watermelon carver Brandt cut watermelon for desert.

After dinner I began working on transcribing Marcia’s Portrait Project interview to for presentation in San Diego. We are hoping to be able to get at least three Portrait Projects transcribed and put on boards to show at our welcoming picnic in San Diego.

Goodnight from Salome.... California here we come!

No comments: