Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One Flat, Two Flat...

Day 62: Chino Valley, AZ

Today’s ride was a rather easy and good despite the fact that I got my first two flats of the trip – both within a 20 mile stretch! Congrats go out to Keith on being the lone survivor in the no flats club!

We got to sleep in an extra hour this morning due to the fact that the Pine Country Restaurant where we ate lunch yesterday, loved us so much they decided to have us back for breakfast at 5:30 am! The generosity of the people we meet continues to amaze me and the Pine Country Restaurant is definitely one awesome place in my book. I enjoyed a delicious Cinnamon Roll French Toast breakfast that came with sausage and scrambled eggs along with coffee. (Yes, French Toast!) After breakfast Zach had the famous Mosher card and did the daily Mosher inspiration/quote before saying goodbye as he left for the final time before he rejoins us in San Diego.

Shortly before 7:00 am I set off with Jon, Andrew and Sehee. The first 20 miles of the ride was all highway as I-40 was the only way to Ash Fork. There was quite a bit of metal and other garbage along the side of the highway and when I got to our water stop in Ash Fork I noticed my back tire appeared a little soft so I added some air. After the water stop we headed south on SR 89 for about 26 miles. Just about a mile before we reached our third water stop in Paulden I encountered my first flat tire. I was going down a hill when my front tire suddenly started making a zipping sound. I knew immediately what it was and yelled to the guys ahead to stop. (The photo on the left is the site of flat #1 - AZ SR89 South Mile 340) Having seen flats changed numerous times but never having actually changed a flat myself Jon, Sehee and Andrew assisted me. They pulled a piece of glass and a small pebble out of the tire before I finished changing the tube. We then continued on to Paulden where we found numerous people changing flat tires at the water stop – apparently it was a day for flats. After everyone was set and ready to go we made our way toward Chino Valley. The dark sky finally opened up just as we arrived in Chino Valley so Jon, Andrew, Sehee and I pulled into Walgreens to take shelter and get directions to the library where we were meeting everyone for lunch. As we were leaving Walgreens I noticed that my back tire was now completely flat and because I had used my one tube already I did not have another one on me. Jon, Andrew and Sehee then left to go track down Sean who was driving the van and see if I could get another tube out of my bag. While waiting I noticed Sean drive by in the support van and turn into the Safeway across the street. Once at Safeway I found Sean and Drew (who had also gotten a flat) and retrieved a spare tube from my bag before they headed back to the library to provide lunch to the rest of the team. Thankfully I was able to change the back flat myself, pulling three staples out of the tire before changing the tube. After changing the tire I headed to the library for lunch covered in dirt and grease.

At the library I ate a quick lunch and used the internet for a few minutes before departing for the church to unpack the van. Sean, Keith, Dan, Drew and I all needed things from a bike shop and since we were unable to locate one in Chino Valley we headed 15 miles south to Prescott, AZ where we found High Gear Bicycle Shop. After the piece of glass went through my front tire today leaving a rather large gap I figured I could probably use a new tire. I had purchased a spare in Springdale, UT that I could use on the front. Despite the three staples and almost 5,000 total miles the back tire still looked ok however I decided to play on the safe side and purchase a spare to have on hand. I also purchased new break pads as my back breaks were wearing a bit thin.

When we got back to the church Allison and Andrew left to go find dinner and came back with personal pizzas, watermelon and ice cream! Alex and I added to the food supply by making the Christmas cookies that we were unable to make in Williams because the oven was broken.

Tomorrow morning it is off to Wickenburg at 5:00 AM!

No comments: